Challenge

The Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver is the heart of a thriving community, offering cultural, athletic, educational, recreational and social programs. Through this programming, it encourages a positive image of Jewish and Israeli culture.

The Centre’s previous website was difficult to navigate and administer. It did not properly promote the scope of their programming, and simple tasks, like registering for a program, were challenging.

After a rebranding exercise, the JCC was ready for a new website: a vibrant web presence that better promoted their all-inclusive programming, their community presence, and the value of a membership. They wanted to incorporate their new brand, and also allow their in-house administrators to self-manage content updates easily in an effort to keep the site’s content fresh and relevant.

Strategy

Red Rocket facilitated a number of strategy sessions and listened to the JCC’s functionality requests. The result was a comprehensive new site structure that showcased the energy and spirit of the Centre while simplifying the user experience, and allowing their in-house staff to keep the site up to date.

The visual design engages the visitor while highlighting key information and raising awareness of upcoming events. Visitors are always presented with the opportunity to enrol in programs, attend cultural events and become members.

The main focus was to present their programming: within seconds, visitors can see what’s new, learn more about upcoming events or activities, and purchase a ticket (or register for a program).

Key Services Provided
  • Site architecture established
  • User experience design
  • Integration of third-party applications
  • Website programming
  • Training for the Centre’s site administrators, that included a custom-built Help Guide
Focusing on the user: a clearly organized, intuitive navigation structure

The JCC offers hundreds of programs for every age group, from fitness to daycare. Some programs require registration and payment, while others are drop-in. Facilities can be rented. The Centre houses a theatre and an art gallery, which host cultural events.

The new site structure invites visitors of all ages to access the programs of interest to them. The structure was developed through numerous strategy sessions and user journeys and went through many refinements before its final version.

Throughout the site, each page includes functionality that addresses member needs and guides visitors to additional information and member services.

Developing an inviting, engaging presence that showcases the JCC’s refreshed identity

The JCC of Greater Vancouver’s refreshed visual identity was part of a drive to attract new members and re-engage existing members. They wanted the new site to support the new brand in look and intent.

We delivered on those requests, with a clean, crisp design that focuses on the user experience. Its wide, visually compelling banner showcases the facility and its cultural activities. A Spotlight feature highlights upcoming events (and emphasizes the value of JCC membership). The home page focuses on programming, with 80% of its space devoted to programming, and the remaining 20% to member activities. On every page, the colour palette and visual style reinforces the new JCC logo and branding.  

A content-managed system, and the training, to allow JCC staff to keep their content fresh and relevant.

The JCC requested a website that they could manage themselves, so they could promote upcoming events and programs. They also needed a system that allows multiple contributors, so the administrative burden could be shared over many people.

We selected a secure open-source Content Management System that meets their every need. To ease their team into the new system, we held a series of hands-on training sessions, and continue to provide training/support on an ongoing basis. We also created a custom Help book for JCC staff to use as a reference guide for years to come.

We love our new website designed by Red Rocket Creative.Their team took the time to listen to us about our business and our goals for the website.

Our branding (fonts, colours and the overall look) was incorporated very well, and responsive design makes it user friendly across various platforms.It’s been a pleasure working with Toks, who was always helpful and prompt with returning calls and emails when I had questions or concerns. And we have hired the Red Rocket for our monthly maintenance.

 

Alla Elperin
JCC Graphic Designer, Website Administrator
Let’s get started

Want to improve your brand presence and enhance your marketing ROI? Let’s talk.